25 Ways to Get Creative this Year!
by Lindsey Turnbull
January is Creativity Month!
cre·a·tiv·i·ty: the use of the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work.
Synonyms: inventiveness, imagination, imaginativeness, innovation, innovativeness, originality, artistry, individuality, expressiveness, inspiration, vision, creative power, creative talent, creative gift, creative skill, resourcefulness, ingenuity, enterprise
Creativity is a gift that every single one of us possesses. Everyone is naturally creative! The more we embrace our creativity, the more creative we feel. Creativity helps us solve problems, grow, and change the world. Everyone has something creative to offer, whether it’s a funny joke, a dance, a song, art, or a new idea.
Sometimes, we are creative when we are inspired. Inspiration can lead us to share our story, to create, to act, to do. It can strike when we least expect it, come from weird and surprising places, and stay with us for moments or for a lifetime.
The beautiful thing about creativity and inspiration is that it can strike anywhere, at any time. It doesn’t have to cost money. It can be something special, just for you. You don’t have to show anyone- or you can show everyone!
In honor of National Creativity Month, here are 25 ways you can get creative or get inspiration for free or low-cost!
- Go to an art exhibit or museum.
- Create your own piece of art with unconventional materials. Instead of markers and pens, use recycled materials.
- Listen to your favorite music.
- Listen to a piece of classical music you’ve never heard before.
- Daydream about your perfect job, a dream vacation, your dream dorm room.
- Take a walk.
- Attend a play or concert in your community.
- Freewrite. Set a timer and go. As long as time is going, you should be writing. Don’t censor yourself, see what comes out.
- Let yourself be bored. Creativity can come from mind-wandering boredom.
- Cook something tasty.
- Take a nap.
- Visit an art exhibit online.
- Play an instrument
- Play with toys. Get down on the floor and play with a relative! Small children have so many ideas! They’re naturally creative.
- Move your body.
- Think of ways to solve the biggest problem you think the world is facing. Get really detailed!
- Sit in a public space and listen to (OK, eavesdrop on) people passing by. Be subtle though!
- Make a vision board
- Write down all of your goals and the detailed steps you can take to achieve them.
- Get a change of scenery.
- Create an inspiring Pintrest board
- Give yourself an impossible challenge. See if you can tell a compelling story in 100 words, write a song with 3 chords, or paint a masterpiece with just two colors.
- Write down ideas as you think of them. Come back to them hours or days later.
- Take a class in something you’d like to try- or ask a friend to teach you. (Or find a YouTube video)
What’s your favorite way to get creative? Tell us at @missheardmedia on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram.
When you need a little boost of inspiration, think about when you feel most creative. What are you doing? Here are some answers from real-life girls, submitted through MissHeard live events
and our Instagram stories:
“when I make art/do arts and crafts.” (This was the number one answer shared! Grab a craft project and get messy!)
“listen to my favorite music.” (This was a close second! Try putting on your favorite music, listening to it with fresh ears, and see what happens.)”
“am included and people allow my ideas to be heard and included.”
For more on creativity, grab the UNLEASH YOUR GIRL POWER ebook!